Keep a Nursery in the New East Barnwell Community Centre
We are calling on Cambridgeshire County Council to reverse the decision to remove the nursery from the plans for the new East Barnwell Community Centre.
The nursery, currently provided by SeeSaw, should be included within the new East Barnwell Community Centre at their current rent and service rates.
The East Barnwell Community Centre project has always been about joined-up services and bringing the community together. The original plan was for SeeSaw to return to its home in the Centre after the new construction is completed, alongside a new library. This is the clear expectation of the Abbey community.
Keeping the nursery in the new East Barnwell Community Centre is important because:
- It would link young children and families to the range of services of the Centre, including the library.
- It would ensure that nursery facilities in Abbey ward are spread across the ward, meaning that it services all parts of the area and gives families a choice in early years education. The East Barnwell Community Centre is in a central location and is far more convenient for families living north of Newmarket Road.
- Abbey families were not widely consulted by the County Council on the proposal to remove the nursery from the plans for the new community centre, which goes against the previous plans and community expectations.
- Moving SeeSaw nursery onto the site of already well-established nursery such as The Fields will create confusion.
- Both SeeSaw nursery and The Fields nursery made representations against the County Council moving SeeSaw out of East Barnwell Centre.
Further, the nursery should be included in the new community centre at its current rate of rent and service charges. The County Council threatened to more than double the rent and service charges if the nursery was included in the new community centre. This is unacceptable for families who live in the most deprived ward in Cambridge city and would clearly be affected by an increase in charges.
We urge the County Council to place SeeSaw nursery in the new Community Centre as has been planned for many years, at its current rates, for the benefit of families and children of Abbey ward.
Please sign the petition if you are an Abbey resident in Cambridge or live in Cambridgeshire and support this.
By filling in your personal contact details and providing us with information, you are giving your consent for your name, address and email to be supplied to Cambridgeshire County Council for the purposes of validating the petition as detailed on their website: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/council/meetings-and-decisions/petitions