City Councillor for Abbey Ward
Richard lives on Newmarket Road in Abbey. He has been in the city for fourteen years, having first arrived to study at Cambridge University. Since graduating Richard worked as a librarian and now for Daniel Zeichner MP in his busy constituency office.
Richard is Executive Councillor for Communities, which covers community centres and community development, sports and leisure, and arts and cultural events organised by the council. He has been Abbey ward councillor since 2012.
Some highlights of Richard’s work as Ward Councillor since he was elected:
- Won funding for knee-high fencing to protect green spaces in Peverel Road, and funds to improve access for pedestrians and cyclists to Stourbridge Common;
- Persuaded Newmarket Rd Tesco to build a new path linking the supermarket to the Rowlinson/Stevenson estate and replace its collapsing fencing;
- Successfully pushed for an improved new play area design for Coldham’s Common;
- Found councillor support for his proposal for the County Council to do detailed work on identified key schemes for the Eastern Gate opportunity area on Newmarket Road – such as removing the Elizabeth Way roundabout to make the area safer for cyclists
- Supported Abbey People in its application to improve Ditton Fields rec
- Worked with residents in Riverside and the police to tackle drug-dealing there.
- Successfully lobbied the County Council to include a new and improved library facility in the proposed East Barnwell Community Hub
- Lead on the campaign to introduce a trial bus service from Abbey to Addenbrooke’s Hospital
- Lobbied Stagecoach over changes to the Citi 3 bus service which has made journey waiting times longer for Whitehill estate residents