Before lockdown, we had begun extensive discussions about the manifesto for the city council elections in May 2020. So much has happened since then, and members and councillors have been leading the response to Covid-19 across the city. As lockdown eases, and we look to the future, we are now planning for elections for the entire city and county council in May 2021 (as well as elections for Police and Crime Commissioner and Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Metro Mayor).
Back in January, we held an event at Alex Wood Hall but we wanted to find different ways of collecting everyone’s thoughts so we also set up an online survey. Because so much has changed, and because time has passed, we want to re-start our manifesto discussions for our 2021 campaigns with another survey, which will allow everyone to contribute their up to date ideas.
In the January meeting, we came up with 7 areas for further discussions. We have included those in the new survey, and have also suggested some new ones. These include covid-19 responses and also areas that are more relevant to the county council.
Please make suggestions about:
- Issues and policies that we should be highlighting in our manifesto
- Things that we should be celebrating/continuing. (This is especially relevant to the city council, which Labour controls, but might also include things that our county councillors are doing to shape policy in the Tory-run county council.)
- Things that we should be doing to put pressure on others (for example, by challenging the awful treatment of local government by the Tories, which has left councils starved of the funds they desperately need).
Don’t worry if you don’t know which is city or county, or what things are already being done. This is not a test, and one of the major discussion points in the meeting was how we don’t always advertise our achievements well enough, and there’s another box where you can also make suggestions for this.
We’ve also included a final box where you can record any other thoughts, in case the other headings don’t cover everything.
Some things to note:
- You do not have to complete every box.
- This form is only for Cambridge CLP members and registered supporters. If you are from outside of the area, or are a member of an affiliate, please do get in touch with us directly.
- If you have any queries, please do get in touch.
Thank you for taking the time to complete our manifesto consultation.